Full Time – Salaried
The buyer will provide a variety of product offerings to increase profitability. Essential functions include the planning and analysis of merchandising programs and analysis of product lines and their effectiveness. The buyer will track sales, forecast, replenish and research new product lines utilizing point of sales data to include inventory on-hand, inventory availability as well as knowledge of vendors and product supply chain timing. This individual will maintain open communication with the General Manager and Management Team. The Retail buyer must have highly developed communication with the ability to build strong relationships with vendors and be profit driven.
- Analyze weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual sales, gross profit and inventory results for the purpose of forecasting purchasing requirements and recapping product activity
- Timely coordination with the GM, and Inventory Coordinator markdowns within the established limitations of liquidation and promotional sales events.
- Maintains inventory data for assigned product line(s) in accordance with company established guidelines
- Observes practices of competition and reports significant developments. Ensures and develops competitive pricing with the guidelines of the company and the GM to achieve dominance in merchandise categories.
- Negotiate pricing and terms with vendors within established corporate guidelines
- Prepares purchase orders within established budget constraints
- Track vendor orders to ensure the timely delivery of product
- Responsible for projections of seasonal products and participating in the implementation of assortment plans based on sales history of assigned product lines
- Develops planograms per vendor programs as necessary and coordinates the implementation with store personnel and sales managers
- Attends trade shows for the purpose of sourcing new products and vendor networking
- Negotiates extended terms and increases lines of credits with guidance of the GM
- Manages product line inventories avoiding overstock or the excessive purchase of product
- Works with Retail Manager, Assistant Retail Managers, Inventory Coordinator on cycle counts and wall to wall inventory loss prevention
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
Formal Education & Certification
- Work requires communications, analytical and organizational skills generally acquired through completion of a bachelor’s degree program or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience
- Requires 3 or more years of experience in retail buying, corporate environment or related area(s)
- Firearms background is strongly preferred
Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of inventory software and/or order processing systems
- Strong computer skills, Excel and Microsoft Office suite and email/web applications.
- Proven ability to be detail oriented and provide timely response
- Confidence to make effective and informed decisions
- Ability to maintain established deadlines
- Ability to multi-task, manage time and prioritize projects in a fast paced environment
- Strong communication and leadership skills that will keep employees motivated